In This Week’s Show, episode 99, cartoon cheerleaders #askchristians before suing web based raki-pastors selling trans wedding sites.
Now, grab a beer and help us test the god hypothesis — because, while Chin (Mayandwarf god who introduced homoerotic relationships to nobles, hasn’t struck us down yet, we are trying his patience!
Shea’s Life Lesson
This week I learned that “backwards” spelled wrong is “Gfardnups”
Jim’s Actual Lesson
Trump calls for “one nation under one God serving one American flag.”
Pop quiz: What political party had the slogan: “One people, one country, one leader!”?
Hint: “Ich weiss deise Antwort!”
But before we get to all that, let’s have a beer!
This Week’s Beer
The president beers from Sick and Twisted Brewery in SD
Provided by: RW
Never tell a lie porter – Washington – Jim
- Jim: 7
- Aaron: 8
- Steve: 5
- Shea: 2
Declaration of IPA – Jefferson – Shea
- Jim: 5
- Aaron: 8
- Steve: 4
- Shea: 2
Big Stick Lemon Grass Mint Blend Ale – Roosevelt – Aaron
- Jim: 5
- Aaron: 8
- Steve: 4
- Shea: 1
Honest Abe Red Ale – Lincoln – Steve
- Jim: 6
- Aaron: 8
- Steve: 5
- Shea: 2
This Week’s Show
Round Table Discussion
Ok everyone, our next show is the 100th special – we’re still not 100% sure what that means yet, but it does leave you about 100 hours to get your voicemail into us before we start recording – so get on it!
Perhaps most importantly, new patron Andi is just in time to get this and our 100th special on Patreon! Which is great, because those shows typically run a third longer and include a unique story – sometimes two! Worth a buck?
We think so and so does Andi!
We also got a fantastic iTunes review!
Great even for non-alcoholics!
by: CokeSux (United States)
I love everything about this show. I also don’t drink but it is a very educational show when it comes to being an alcoholic. I give this show a 10 out of 5
Jim is back to help us drink beers! Yay!
Jim is so awesome and we miss him so much, we should all buy him drinks and send him naughty pictures that will make him smile.
Thanks so much
If you want to leave us a voicemail for the 100th episode there’s still time (well… Two-ish days) so call us maybe at (513) 760–0463
We are greatly saddened by the news that Monty Python’s Terry Jones has been diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia, a variant of frontotemporal dementia. “This illness affects his ability to communicate and he is no longer able to give interviews. Terry is proud and honored to be recognized in this way and is looking forward to the celebrations.” – http://bit.ly/2cEY4vZ
Followup: Pastor Steven Anderson Deported from Botswana After Advocating for the Execution of Gay People – http://bit.ly/2dhKNHx
Steve: Today my wife said that some of my daughter’s friends had to end the sleepover early this morning because they had to go see Sunday Santa Clause. I was laughing out loud at that.
Did anyone catch Jim’s extra line in the show notes? See… we shared the entire W4W Show Notes folder with him some time ago and every once in a while he uses his powers for evil – Jim?
Speaking of show notes we should say thanks to listener Johan @johanges
NC Teacher Suspended for 10 Days After Stepping on Flag During Lesson on First Amendment Rights – http://bit.ly/2cEXMVY
- Lee Francis, Teacher at Massey Hill Classical High School, was suspended recently
- He was teaching a lesson about the recent BLM protests doing a lesson on the Texas vs Johnson case from 1989 which overturned the ban on desecrating the flag
- To demonstrate his point he stepped on a US Flag three times
- Two students walked out with the crumpled flag and took it to the principal’s office
- Francis was perfectly okay with their reaction, saying, “… this is exactly what I teach: You don’t teach kids how to think or what to think; you teach them to go their own path,” he said. “If they feel so convicted that this is their cause they’re going to stand for, I don’t blame them. It’s an upper-level school for those who aspire to go to college and in that regard, we have rigor and expectations, so I treat them as such.”
- He added, “Not only was the demonstration warranted and justified based on the court, it’s warranted and justified in the rights we have. This is the law of the land upheld by the highest court. Freedom of speech is not just defined verbally by something you say or write down on paper, but something that can also be a physical action.”
- School administration didn’t agree and first put him on paid admin leave, then suspended him w/o pay for 10 days.
God-Lovin’ Church Going Fucker’s Didn’t Report Child-Rapist Pastor – http://bit.ly/2cEXdLW
- The pastor of Thornton, Colorado “Agape Bible Church” raped a 12 yo girl from the church
- This is, unfortunately, not too surprising to us given our typical topics, but what is even more terrible is the fact that church officials knew about the assault and did nothing.
- The arrest documents stated that both the head Pastor Darrell Ferguson and the girl’s adoptive parents agreed that it would be best to not go to the police because they were concerned about what would happen to Wyatt.
- They thought that biblical counseling would be sufficient to fix the problem and they were concerned about what would happen to Wyatt.
- Police learned about the abuse because another parishioner was disgusted by the church’s reaction.
More News Of The Pious: Nahed Hattar Murdered For Posting A Cartoon On Facebook – http://bit.ly/2dhL2m6
- The Jordanian writer and atheist were assassinated in Amman because he posted a cartoon on Facebook making fun of Muslim extremists (see show notes)
- He was on his way to the Supreme Court for a hearing regarding charges of offending Islam when he was killed by Riad Abdullah, a local imam
- After his facebook post was widely criticized he removed the image and deactivated his FB account and issued an apology stating the image “mocks ISIS terrorists and their concept of heaven.”
- Hypocritical Jordanian govt. a spokesman said they would hold the perpetrator to justice saying, “the government will respond with an iron fist to anyone who uses this incident as an opportunity to spread hate speech in society.”
This Week’s Stories
New idea to cure my blindness…
- Tammy Ward and her “Christ-centered energy healing” business — it’ll cost you.
- Platinum – 25K / a
- Gold – 14K / 6 months (28K / a)
- Silver – 8K / 3 months (32K / a)
- Don’t worry, it works!
- “I wanted to make sure it wasn’t like woo woo, voo doo, you know,” Ward said. “I just didn’t know.”
- She said God answered her, telling her to not only pursue that healing for herself, but to teach it to others.
- This isn’t a doctor’s office. Johnson is getting ready to perform Reiki -– a form of alternative medicine focused on energy.
- “I’m always hoping that Christ will come to assist in the healing,” “I feel duty-bound –- literally duty-bound –- to share this with other people,” Ward said.
- “Heavenly Father told me that this is not just for the people of the LDS church,” Ward said. “This is for all of his children.”
- “People who have, who are painting pictures of Christ, should they just automatically do artwork for everyone for free? They have a picture of Christ, it has Christ in the picture. What about people who are songwriters or singers who are writing songs about Jesus? Should they instantly and suddenly and for forever more make their songs free?” said Ward. “I don’t think it’s any different.”
- Ward added she’s “prayed to know if this is OK with Heavenly Father, and I’ve been told that it is.”
“We urge Church members to be cautious about participating in any group that promises-in exchange for money-miraculous healings or that claims to have special methods for accessing healing power outside of properly ordained priesthood holders,” said church spokesman Eric Hawkins.
MN Christians want transgender people to before use the bathroom – http://bit.ly/2cEXdvu
- Minnesotans are the face of a new campaign by a national network of anti-LGBTQ organizations. The campaign, askmefirst, features Christians imploring schools, businesses, and “transgender activists” to ask them for permission before allowing transgender people to use the bathroom.
- The Ask Me First campaign was developed by the Family Policy Alliance — formerly called Citizenlink — which provides a network of financial and political assistance for Family Policy Councils throughout the United States including the Minnesota Family Council.
- The latter sent out an email last week stating:
- Ask Me First provides women an opportunity to share their real life stories in the hope that other women and families nationwide will have courage to speak up for common sense safety and privacy policies – in public school restrooms, locker rooms, housing, government buildings, on sports teams, etc.
- Their stories are also meant to send clear messages to school administrators and legislators that there are serious consequences for moms, daughters, students, athletes, sexual abuse survivors and businesswomen when men are allowed to access women’s private facilities!
Christian business woman suing for right to discriminate against LGBTQ clients – http://bit.ly/2cEXyOB
- 62-page suit
- Lorie is also a Christian who believes that God has called her to use her talents and her company in a way that honors Him.
- Because of her religious beliefs and her desire to affect the current cultural narrative regarding marriage that contradicts those beliefs, Lorie wants to use her talents and the expressive platform she has in 303 Creative to celebrate and promote God’s design for marriage as an institution between one man and one woman.
- Lorie believes that God is calling her to promote and celebrate His design for marriage by designing and creating custom wedding websites for weddings between one man and one woman only.
- As part of discharging her religious duty, Lorie also desires to explain her religious beliefs about marriage on her website and in communications with prospective clients, including why those beliefs prevent her from designing websites celebrating and promoting same-sex weddings.”
- But the big bad law won’t let her
- Identification of plaintiffs
- Plaintiff Lorie Smith is an evangelical Christian.
- She is a resident of the State of Colorado and a citizen of the United States of America.
- She is also the sole member-owner of Plaintiff 303 Creative LLC.
- 303Creative is a for-profit limited liability company organized under Colorado law.
- 303 Creative’s principal place of business is located in Colorado.
- The first provision provides that it is unlawful for a person to do the following:
- … directly or indirectly, to publish, circulate, issue, display, post, or mail any written, electronic, or printed communication, notice, or advertisement that indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied an individual or that an individual’s patronage or presence at a place of public accommodation is unwelcome, objectionable, unacceptable, or undesirable because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry.
- A “place of public accommodation” includes “any place of business engaged in any sales to the public and any place offering services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations to the public, including but not limited to any business offering wholesale or retail sales to the public.” Colo. Rev. Stat. § 24–34–601(1).
- This civil rights action raises federal questions under the United States Constitution, particularly the First and Fourteenth Amendments, and the Civil Rights Act of 1871, 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- No shit!
- Section on Lorie and her faith
- Although she is a daughter, a wife, and a mother, Lorie identifies first and foremost as a Christian—a follower of Jesus Christ.
- In addition to attending church and Bible study weekly, Lorie volunteers as an instructor in her church’s ministry program for toddlers, leads multiple women’s ministry events, and handles all of her church’s print and electronic marketing and website outreach.
- Lorie’s religious beliefs are central to her identity, her understanding of existence, and her conception of her personal dignity and autonomy.
- As a Christian, Lorie believes that her life is not her own, but that it belongs to God (1 Corinthians 6:19–20) and that He has called her to live a life free from sin (Romans 6:12–13).to
- Lorie also believes that everything she does—personally and professionally—should be done in a manner that glorifies God. (1 Corinthians 10:31; 2 Corinthians 5:15; Colossians 3:17; 1 Peter 4:11.)
- More biblical citations than legal!
- Lorie has “sole discretion,” there are plenty of other places they can go, she’s in close contact with clients (she might have to talk to icky gays), she considers everything like color/font/etc, she will share biblical truths with couples, people would know we designed it
- The draft website says “I firmly believe that God is calling me to this work. Why? I am personally convicted that He wants me – during these uncertain times for those who believe in biblical marriage – to shine His light and not stay silent. He is calling me to stand up for my faith, to explain His true story about marriage, and to use the talents and business He gave me to publicly proclaim and celebrate His design for marriage as a life-long union between one man and one woman. These same religious convictions that motivate me also prevent me from creating websites promoting and celebrating ideas or messages that violate my beliefs, so I will not be able to create websites for same-sex marriages or any other marriage that is not between one man and one woman. Doing that would compromise my Christian witness and tell a story about a marriage that contradicts God’s true story of marriage – the very story He is calling me to promote.”
- Other businesses got to support marriage
- But they don’t get to deny services to individuals who didn’t!
- Free speech, content/viewpoint discriminatory, free association, surrendering rights, free exercise of religion, due process, equal protection clause,
- Religious liberty and racial discrimination
- Bob Jones University in the 70’s and 80’s
- Amish and social security tax
Next Week’s Beer
Aunt Sally | Lagunitas Brewing Company
Faith In Humanity Restored
From Chicago!? Who knew!
Little Village paleta vendor given over $380K from GoFundMe campaign
An 89-year-old paleta vendor in Little Village who returned to work after his daughter died in order to earn a living and support his grandchildren was received more than $380,000 from a record-setting GoFundMe campaign – http://abc7.ws/2cEXmPx
Bonus Cat Video
- Doctor Strange – http://uncrate.com/video/doctor-strange/
- The Origin Of Dogs – http://uncrate.com/video/the-origin-of-dogs/
Homemade Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Tube of Soyrizo
- 1 or 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to Sauté
- 2 onions (large, roughly chopped or cut into thick half rings)
- 1 head garlic, divided (minced)
- 1 small can slice / diced olives (more if you like)
- Sliced baby Portobello mushrooms, to taste but I usually add a lot
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes or 6 hand crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons dried basil, garnish with fresh basil if desired
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cracked black pepper (fresh, to taste)
- Heat oil in large frying pan or wok until nearly smoking.
- Add mushrooms and onions, cook until mushrooms are browning and onions become clear and fragrant.
- Add half:
- Minced garlic
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Add all:
- Red pepper flakes
- Sauté until herbs are fragrant.
- Add Soyrizo, olives and remaining spices.
- Sauté until Soyrizo is thoroughly cooked and all ingredients are well mixed.
- Add remaining ingredients and sautéed mixture to slow cooker on high.
- Once sauce is bubbling reduce heat to medium and slow cook until dinner. My suggestion is a minimum of 1 hour.
Remember to taste frequently and add more salt, pepper, garlic, basil or sugar (to cut acidity) as desired.
What you get should be a thick and chunky Spaghetti sauce that everyone will love!